Currently, only a very small proportion of India’s workforce has any formal skill training. Not surprisingly therefore several sectors of the country’s economy face shortage of skilled people and are mired with low productivity levels due to poor quality of workforce. At the same time, large sections of the country’s youth are looking for economic and livelihood opportunities. In this context, skill development has become a key priority area for the country. This is not only essential for economic development, but would help to fulfill youth aspirations for good quality, better paid jobs and self-employment opportunities. This would also enable the country to take advantage of its favorable demographic profile. With a large pool of skilled people, India has an opportunity to become a skill provider for the world, particularly the ageing developed world.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE). The objective of this skill Certification Scheme is to enable a large number of Indian youth to take up industry-relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood.Individuals with prior learning experience or skills will also be assessed and certified under Recognition of Prior Learning(RPL).
The objective of this Scheme is to encourage skill development for youth by providing placement linked skill training. Specifically, the Scheme aims to:
- Providing 60 lakh youth with the opportunity to get trained, assessed and certified.
- Aligning the competencies of 40 lakh indivisuals from the un-regulated workforce with the NSQF.
- Enabling a platform that will facilitate trainings in special areas and premises of Government bodies and Corporates.
- Linking the aptitude, aspiration, and knowledge of PMKVY candidates to potential employers.
In line with the objectives stated above, this Scheme is applicable to any candidate of Indian nationality who:
- Is an unemploed youth or, school/college dropouts,
- Possesses as Aadhar card and a bank account
- Has a verifiable alternate ID such as PAN or Voter ID (applicable only for the states of North-East region and J&K-Additional IDs may be added from time to time)
- Any other criteria as defined by the Sector Skill Councils for respective job roles
PROCESS FOR AVAILING THE BENEFIT OF THE SCHEME
- Candidates can enroll in any course mentioned in the table below.
- Candidates will be required to provide the Aadhaar number at the time of enrolment. In the case of Aadhaar number not available, Rooman will facilitate the enrolment of the candidates for Aadhaar.
- After completion of training, the candidate will be assessed by one of the Assessment agencies approved by the respective SSC.